4.07.2010

Someone's shaken my ground!

Last February 27th at 3 am I was fast asleep, but I woke up a few seconds before the whole thing started. I was thinking of someone I had spoken to, that last night. Then suddenly the earthquake came and I held on to my cabin, because I thought it was going to fall on top of me and... I didn't want to be a smashed up person. Once it was over, I got up and went to meet my parents at the living room. I sat down, drank some tea and started to text this person I was thinking of. I got tired at 6 am and went to bed, although sleeping wasn't so easy, considering the circumstances. That person, by the way, was alive and wasn't even scared to begin with.

Meanwhile my parents tried to call some of my relatives. My mom's family lives in Arauco, a small town to the south of Concepcion. She cried a lot, and only got a bit calmed when she got to call them and learned that they were alive, but staying in a hill because they were terrified to stay at home. They can now live in their houses, which are not fine but didn't fall down, so it's better than living in a hill next to some river. Nevertheless, they won't have water supply in two months.

Our house was okay. A broken glass and some damages in my dad's workshop, but we didn't care. We could fix that. Life, on the other hand, was and is still irreplaceable.

Ever since that day, sometimes I'm not scared when the earth's moving beneath my feet, and sometimes my heart jumps right out my chest and goes hard doki. A while later I'm fine. But this has shocked our country in a really violent way, and I don't mean just physically. Our mind has changed. Our fears are greater.

I just hope we, as a nation, could start respecting the earth in the way we should.
Dust we are~ ...

[Angelica]

1 comment:

  1. good post Angélica. good to know "that person" was fine. And your family too.

    ReplyDelete